Iowa law requires child care providers to have a written emergency plan in place by October 1, 2016. Emergency plans must include procedures for:
- Evacuation and relocation
- Addressing the individual needs of children, including those with functional or access needs
- Communication and reunification with parents and other approved individuals
- Continuity of operations
There are templates and tools available for child care providers to help meet your program's needs. You are not required to use any of the templates and tools offered, although the tools and templates will help you meet requirements in Iowa law.
- EP Planning Template in Adobe Acrobat fillable format (download & save to use) - blank document
- EP Planning Template in Word format (download & save to use) - blank document
A few suggestions to keep in mind as you develop the emergency plan for your program:
- Keep your plan simple so you and your staff can remember the important steps to do when an emergency happens.
- Keep your plan in a place where it is available to reference.
- Train on and practice your plan to everyone knows what needs to be done. You and your staff's actions should be instinctive and decisive.
- Update your plan at least annually. Make necessary changes after conducting drills or an actual event.