How to Provide Child Care in Your Home
Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) is a FREE service to help you start and grow your child care business! CCR&R can assist with all aspects of opening your child care business.
Things to Consider Before Opening a Child Care Business
- Are you ready to start a child care business?
- Are You Ready to Start a Child Care Business? from First Children’s Finance
- Assess the need for child care in your community
- What are the beginning business practices that need to be considered?
- What else should you consider before you begin?
There are three types of home providers:
View the Department of Human Services (DHS) comparison chart for types of child care in Iowa here.
- Registered Child Development Home (CDH)
- Nonregistered Child Care Home accepting Child Care Assistance (CCHA)
- Nonregistered Child Care Home (CCH)
Benefits of Being a Registered Child Development Home
- Receive a higher Child Care Assistance (CCA) reimbursement rate
- Can legally care for more children
- Can participate in Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) & be reimbursed for meals and snacks served
- Can participate in Iowa’s Quality Rating System (QRS) and ChildNet certification
- Shows parents you are committed to providing quality child care!
Department of Human Services (DHS) Application Process Overview
- Contact the CCR&R Recruitment & Retention Specialist in your area.
- CCR&R will guide you through the Department of Human Services (DHS) application process
- Contact CCR&R to request a provider registration packet here.
- In order to accept Child Care Assistance (CCA) payments, nonregistered Child Care Homes (CCHA) and registered Child Development Homes (CDH) providers must complete the Department of Human Services (DHS) application process.
- Create a Department of Human Services (DHS) Training Registry account.
- Complete required training.
- Complete Background Checks and Fingerprinting (forms included in your registration packet).
- Complete the registration packet with a CCR&R Child Care Consultant.
- Connect with a CCR&R Child Care consultant to help you prepare your home for a Department of Human Services (DHS) pre-inspection
- Pre-Inspection of your home by the Department of Human Services (DHS).
- Correct any pre-inspection issues.
- Continue to work with a CCR&R Child Care Consultant.
For a printable version of the steps of the DHS Application Process, click here.
More CCR&R Services
- Assist with completing the Provider Self-assessment for Child Development Homes (CDH) to help ensure home is ready for the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) inspection visit
- Provide business and financial resources
- Assist with development of child care business policies and procedures, see Child Development Home Policy Options for assistance
- Assist with the quality improvement steps, i.e. room arrangement, behavior guidance, etc.
- Provide on-site consultation and technical assistance via phone/email/text
- Connect providers with available resources
- And much more!
Child Care Aware of America has a Family Child Care Resource guide that may offer additional suggestions about the type of child care business for you.
For a list of other resources that you might find helpful, click here.