How to Provide Child Care in Your Home
Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) is a FREE service to help you start and grow your child care business!
- Assist with meeting registration requirements including completing the application, fingerprinting and finding required training. New provider registration packets are available through CCR&R here.
- Assist with completing a Pre-Inspection Self-Assessment form to help ensure home is ready for the Department of Human Services (DHS) pre-inspection visit.
- Provide business and financial resources.
- Assist with the quality improvement steps, i.e. room arrangement, behavior guidance, etc.
- Provide on-site consultation and technical assistance via phone/email/text.
- Connect providers with available resources.
- And much more!
In Iowa, child care is regulated by the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS).
In order to accept Child Care Assistance (CCA) payments, nonregistered Child Care Homes (CCHA) and registered Child Development Homes (CDH) providers must complete the Department of Human Services (DHS) application process. New provider registration packets are available through CCR&R here.
Additionally, Child Care Aware of America has a Family Child Care Resource guide that may offer additional suggestions about the type of child care business for you.
Department of Human Services (DHS) Application Process Overview
- Contact the CCR&R Recruitment & Retention Specialist your area
- CCR&R will guide you through the Department of Human Services (DHS) application process
- Contact CCR&R to request a provider registration packet here.
- Create a Department of Human Services (DHS) Training Registry account
- Complete required training
- Complete Background Checks and Fingerprinting
- Send in completed registration packet
- Prepare your home for a Department of Human Services (DHS) pre-inspection
- Pre-Inspection of your home by the Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Correct any Pre-Inspection Issues
- Continue to work with a CCR&R Child Care Consultant
For a printable version of the steps of the DHS Application Process, click here.
Benefits of Being a Registered Child Development Home
- Receive a higher Child Care Assistance (CCA) reimbursement rate
- Can legally care for more children
- Can participate in Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) & be reimbursed for meals and snacks served
- Can participate in Iowa’s Quality Rating System (QRS) and ChildNet certification
- Shows parents you are committed to providing quality child care!
Things to Consider Before Opening a Child Care Business
- What business practices do need to be considered? (start date, policies, liability insurance, contracts, taxes, etc)
- What is your highest level of education and experience in child care?
- What spaces in your home will be used for child care?
- What age children will be cared for?
- What supplies will be needed for the children that you care for?
- What is the need for child care in your community?
Child Care Assistance (CCA)
For more information about accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA), click here.
For a list of resources that you might find helpful, click here.