A nonregistered Child Care Home (CCH) that accepts Child Care Assistance (CCA) and provides care in their own home must have a Provider Agreement with the Department of Human Services (DHS) and meet certain regulatory requirements. There are fewer training requirements than registered Child Development Homes (CDH) and the reimbursement rate for Child Care Assistance (CCA) is less (click here for rate chart page). Effective October 1, 2016, DHS will monitor annually.

Child Care Homes (CCH) accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA) regulation guidelines from Department of Human Services (DHS), which explains the minimum requirements:

  • Comm 95 - Minimum Health & Safety Standards
  • Chapter 120 - Procedures for Child Care Homes (CCH) that have Child Care Assistance (CCA) Agreement
  • Chapter 170 - Requirements for the payment of Child Care Assistance (CCA)
  • To access the Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Care Provider Portal, click here

Steps to become a Child Care Home accepting Child Care Assistance

If you want to become a Child Care Home (CCH) with a Child Care Assistance Provider Agreement (CCA), you’ll need to fill out Form 470-2890, Payment Application for Nonregistered Providers and Form 470-3871, Child Care Assistance Provider Agreement.  Everyone who lives in the home over the age of 14 will need to fill out a Background Check and everyone 18 years of age or older must complete a Fingerprinting Card. New nonregistered provider application packets are available through CCR&R here.

To help prepare providers for Department of Human Services (DHS) home inspections, please use the Self-Assessment (monitoring) CCHA form. For more information, click here.

Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) provides training and consultation services that support the child care provider’s ability to achieve regulatory status. Please contact your Child Care Consultant with any questions you may have.

For more information about accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA), click here.

Child Care Homes accepting Child Care Assistance are also eligible to participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), see requirements for participation here.

Required Forms - DHS

Payment Application for Nonregistered Providers

ID# 470-2890

View » Fillable »

Health, Safety and Fire Standards Checklist for CCHA

ID# 470-5385


Spanish »

English »

Child Care Assistance Provider Agreement

ID# 470-3871

View » Fillable »

Provider Physical Examination Report 

ID# 470-5152 (required for all residents of the home age 13 and up)

Spanish »

English »

Pet Health Exam

ID# 470-5153

View »

Authorization for Release of Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Information

ID# 470-3301 (required for all household members age 14 and older)

Spanish »

English »

Fillable »

Child Abuse 

DHS Report of Suspected Child Abuse - ID# 470-0665

View »

Suggested Forms - CCR&R


Iowa Professional Workforce Registry (i-PoWeR) is an online tool where child care professionals can locate and enroll for DHS-approved professional development. To access and enroll for DHS-approved professional development opportunities, please see their website.

Prior to the issuance of a Child Care Assistance (CCA) Provider Agreement and every five years thereafter, the primary and substitute provider shall complete minimum health and safety trainings approved by the Department of Human Services (DHS).

  • Two hours of approved child abuse and neglect mandatory reporter training - MCART
  • Certification in infant and child first aid that includes management of a blocked airway and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation (check with your Child Care Consultant for training options in your area)
  • Twelve hours of approved health and safety training (Essentials Preservice Series or ECE-133)
    • Essentials training will always count towards ongoing professional development hours the initial time it is taken.

For complete Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) child care provider agreement guidelines on training requirements, please see Comm 95.

To view a complete listing of core trainings offered by CCR&R, click here.

Training Registry

Suggested Training

Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) does not require additional training hours for Child Care Home (CCH) providers and substitutes accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA). However, it is encouraged to attend the suggested list of trainings to further professional development. CCR&R offers low- or no-cost training designed to help early childhood professionals meet registration requirements and become more successful in developing skills for working with children and families. Suggested core training options:

Training Pages

Update your File

Having accurate information on your child care program in the CCR&R database allows us to assist in marketing your child care program to parents looking for child care. To match your program to the needs of families we need to know important information like hours of operation, ages served, changes in phone numbers or email address. Update your program file here.

How to Become a Registered Child Development Home

CCR&R strives to help providers create unique environments that allow children to develop and grow in their own way while focusing on the provider’s strengths, education and skills. Explore your registration options here.

Benefits of Registration

Being a Child Care Home (CCH) with a Child Care Assistance Provider Agreement (CCA) allows you to be reimbursed when caring for children whose child care is paid by the state. You can care for no more than 5 children. Just as registered Child Development Homes (CDH) do, you'll get an annual inspection. You will be required to take some trainings. A registered Child Development Home (CDH) must take more trainings each year. As a Child Care Home (CCH) accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA) you are ineligible to participate in ChildNet Certification or the Quality Rating System (QRS), but if you are registered, you would be able to take advantage of these great programs!

Benefits of registration as a Child Development Home (CDH) provider include:

  • Satisfaction of knowing you meet the minimum requirements for child care in accordance with the Iowa Administrative Code.
  • Prestige of a Certificate of Registration that shows the parents and the public that you meet the minimum requirements for child care in the state of Iowa.
  • Eligibility for consultation from the Department of Human Services (DHS) in all aspects of child care.
  • Registration identifies your Child Development Home (CDH) for the referral system maintained by the local office of Human Services and the Child Care Resource & Referral agency.
  • Registration identifies your home to child care organizations and other community resources, such as extension services, Community Action programs, Head Start and Child Care Resource & Referral agencies. These agencies can provide services such as training, consultation, collaboration and resource development.
  • Registration can open communications with a variety of child care resources, which tends to lessen the isolation of the home provider.
  • Registered homes may qualify for participation in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for reimbursement for meals and snacks.

Quality Rating System

As a Child Care Home (CCH) accepting Child Care Assistance (CCA), you are ineligible to participate in this system. However, consider becoming a Child Development Home (CDH) to participate!

Iowa's Quality Rating System (QRS) is a voluntary child care rating system for Child Development Homes (CDH). The Quality Rating System (QRS) was developed to raise the quality of child care in Iowa, raise the number of children in high-quality child care settings and to educate parents about quality in child care. To learn more about becoming a QRS-rated provider, click here.

Other Program Referrals

Helpful Links

For a list of resources that you might find helpful, click here.