Contact Iowa CCR&R for your Application Packet

Iowa CCR&R Regions

CCR&R of NW Iowa

Region 1

 (712) 786-3489

CCR&R of NE Iowa

Region 2

 (800) 475-0804

CCR&R of SW Iowa

Region 3

 (712) 755-7381

CCR&R of Central Iowa

Region 4

 (800) 722-7619

Child Care Resources & Referral (CCR&R) is contracted by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to process applications for Child Development Home (CDH) registration and Child Care Assistance (CCA). Any person providing child care in their home can apply to be registered and can apply to accept Child Care Assistance (CCA). Those serving more than six children are required to be registered.

HHS Registration Application Process


  1. Contact your local CCR&R agency to request a provider registration packet, contact information listed at the top of this page. The registration packet includes the registration application form and at least six additional forms that are required.
    • Do not send packets directly to the Department of Healht and Human Services (HHS). To avoid registration delays, HHS only processes applications that have been reviewed for completion by CCR&R. Once your packet has been reviewed, CCR&R will mail it to HHS.
  2. CCR&R will guide you through the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) application process.
    • If you choose to accept Child Care Assistance (CCA) payments as a registered Child Development Home (CDH) providers must complete the HHS application process. The forms for Child Care Assistance (CCA) are included in your HHS application registration packet.
  3. Complete Background Checks and Fingerprinting - forms included in your registration packet.
  4. Preservice and annual training is required for Child Development Home (CDH) registration.
    • Create your account in Iowa's Early Childhood and School Age Professional Workforce Registry (i-PoWeR). i-PoWeR is an online tool where child care professionals can locate and enroll for approved Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) professional development.
    • Preservice training - proof required to complete application
      • Essentials Child Care Preservice series training or ECE-133
      • Mandatory Child Abuse Reporter Training for Iowa Early Childhood and School-age Professionals (MCART)
      • Infant and child first aid that includes management of a blocked airway and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation (if taken online, a skills in-person test out is required) - approved training organizations
    • Required annual professional development
    • i-PoWeR tips and tricks for Home Providers
  5. Submit the completed registration packet to your local CCR&R agency and review Next Steps below to prepare for required pre-inspection by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) field staff.
  6. Application processing may take up to 8 weeks. If there are questions or errors with your application, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will be in contact directly with you.

For a printable version of the steps of the Application Process, click here.

Next Steps

  1. Connect with a CCR&R Child Care Consultant to help you prepare your home for a Department of Health and  Human Services (HHS) pre-inspection. All pre-inspections are completed by HHS field staff.
  2. Correct any pre-inspection issues.
    • Certificate of Registration will not be issued until the pre-inspection process is completed
  3. Continue to work with your CCR&R Child Care Consultant.

Child Care Options

There are five categories of home child care facilities recognized under Iowa law, based on the number of children in care, the space available for child care and the provider’s education and experience:


Child Development Home A
Child Development Home B
Child Development Home C, C1

  • Registered with the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
  • Comm 143 (Spanish) - HHS Child Development Home (CDH) Registration Guidelines
  • Chapter 110 - HHS Registration Rules
  • Chapter 170 - HHS Requirements for Child Care Assistance (CCA)

Child Care Home Accepting Child Care Assistance

  • Registered with the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
  • Comm 95 - Minimum Health & Safety Standards
  • Chapter 120 - Procedures for Child Care Homes (CCH) that have Child Care Assistance (CCA) Agreement
  • Chapter 170 - Requirements for the payment of Child Care Assistance (CCA)

Child Care Home

  • Not registered with Iowa Department of Health Human Services (HHS)
  • The only guideline for a Child Care Home (CCH) is Iowa Code Section 237A.3 
  • To be available for referrals, a nonregistered program must complete a background check with CCR&R
  • Please note: A home providing child care to more than 6 children at one time is required to be registered as a Child Development Home (CDH).

 Child Care Assistance Forms and Information

 Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) - Child Care Provider Portal

 Emergency Preparedness -  Resources to help write plans and procedures

 Child Care Injury/Incident Report - Form to be completed any time an injury that requires first aid or medical care which occurs in a child care home, child development home, or licensed child care facility.

 800-362-2178 please call if you suspect a child under the age of 18 is being abused or neglected or visit Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) child abuse website.

 844-786-1296 please call the Iowa Child Care Complaint Hotline if you have concerns regarding a child care provider.

 HHS Child Care Reports - Showing the history of complaints and compliance reports.

Check with your local city zoning and county regulations for requirements.

Resources and Program Referrals

Links to resources that child care businesses might find helpful.



Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) requires additional training during each licensing period.


  i-PoWeR Professional Workforce Registry

 Professional Development Planning Form (Spanish) (Word) form to assist individuals in their professional development plan.

Minimum required training for registration:

 CCR&R Professional Development Opportunities

 Child Care Ready

 Child Development Associate (CDA) CredentialTM

 HHS Approved Professional Development Opportunities

 Iowa Early Learning Standards

Nonregistered Application Packet for Child Care Home accepting Child Care Assistance (CCHA)

People who provide child care in their own homes and who care for six or fewer children are not required by Iowa Code 237A.3 to be registered but have the option to do so. These people may apply for a Child Care Assistance (CCA) Provider Agreement with Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). This allows non-registered programs to care for children that qualify for public assistance with child care costs.

  1. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) must complete an unannounced annual inspection once per year to assure compliance with health, safety and fire standards. 
  2. Child Care Homes (CCH) serving children eligible for Child Care Assistance (CCA) must reapply every two years. Child Care Homes accepting Child Care Assistance (CCHA) must meet requirements in the following areas (but are not limited to):
  • Number of children allowed in care
  • Health and Safety standards
  • Parental Access
  • Discipline
  • Meals
  • File Maintenance for children
  • Professional Development



Provider Survey Response

"My Child Care Consultant is amazing to work with. She’s very knowledgeable and supportive. Her communication is strong. She made the registration process smooth and easy." - Shannon, Child Development Home Provider