What? You want to take the music and movement outside? Did you know that you can transfer any indoor activities for the outdoors? Have you thought to yourself, “I have enough space out here that I could make interest areas outside also?” Use your imagination and think outside the box.
Ideas for interest areas for outside:
- Art Area - have a table and easel that kids can use outdoor nature to create
- Dramatic Play - everything you have in your indoor dramatic play you can have outside also
- Music and Movement - instruments, music, ribbons, props
- Science - this has endless possibilities - because it is outside, think off all the science that happens every day when you are outside such as a potting area for planting plants or a garden
- Block Area - have several types of blocks that they can build with
- Large Motor - make roads for bikes to ride on, have balance beams from the kids to walk on, a mat for them to roll on, running and jumping - you do not have to have a big jungle gym to get large motor activities for children
- Sensory Table - think of all the things from the outside you can put in the table for the children to explore
Pinterest has many good ideas for outdoor classrooms.
Benefits of taking your indoors outdoors:
- Less mess
- Less chaos for those kids that get sensory overload in a loud classroom
- More social opportunities with the larger area to work
- Freedom to explore
- Freedom of boundaries
- Positive interaction
- Gives children fresh air
Do not be afraid to create. You do not have to buy all new furniture for your outdoor space. You can find most things at yard sales or discount stores. The sky is the limit!